Thursday, December 19, 2013

I want to know more:

A couple of events, totally unrelated have been parked side by side in the parking lot of my mind.  One is the birth of Christ, the other is the tragic death of a young friend.  Why would two events, seperated by two millennia, and about as opposite as two happenings can be separated by just a white line one graypavement that passes for my brain?
Beside the fact that my friend died near Christmas, surrounding both events I can hear cries for more information.  It is said that nature abhors a vacuum.  Make a container strong enough, give it a sufficient seal, and keep little boys with screw-drivers away, and a near vacuum can be maintained in the world of nature.  It is much more difficult in the realm of ideas.  Luke 2:1-7 gives the story of Christ's birth.  In the translation I read, one-hundred-forty words.  How can such a momentous event be recorded so sparsely?  In the case of my friend's death little is known.  In Luke's case, since his primary source is the third person of Trinity, everything is known.
Why are we not told the precise location of the Messiah's birth?  
Just why was their no room?
How many shepherds came?
Were animals present?
 What song did the little drummer boy play?
Etc, etc. etc.?
One can hear the air of information, so-called, rushing in.  For hundreds of years artists, writers, preachers, Sunday School program directors, and others have filled the blanks with speculation, conjecture, culturally incorrect conclusions, and fancy.  
In the case of my friend, at least for now, I have to come to peace with the information that I have.  With the birth of my Savior I conclude that I have been given what I need to know.  The Holy Spirit's plan was not to give me a complete guide to setting up a historically accurate creche.  It is, in the words of the angel, to tell me there is "good news of great joy . . .  there has been born for you a Savior, who is Christ the Lord."  (Luke 2:10-11)
 
That is enough!
 
With a wish for the best of Christmases,
it's Something To Think About,
from the Covington Bible Church.
  
 
This will be my first Christmas without my mom.  Mom made hundreds of  little angels, like the one on the left.  They are literally around the world.  I don't have any handwork for you, but on our website, covingtonbblechurch.com, you can find recordings of messages, including some recent messages on thanksgiving, and there is a lot of information about the One Who came to earth to be our Savior,covingtonbiblechurch.com.  Click on "Life's most important question."

No comments:

Post a Comment