Friday, February 14, 2014

Thoughts on Valentine Day:

 

Something
To
Think
About,
2/14

I know it sounds really bad, but I'm not a particular fan of Valentine Day.  It's not that I don't love my lovely wife, or want her to know that I love her.  I guess it's that I resent, at least  a bit, being told that February 14 is the day I'm supposed to tell her that.
For one thing, as is true about most holidays that once had  Theological meaning, the modern celebration of Valentine Day bears almost no resemblance to the martyr in whose honor the day is named.  (See here.)  I guess what really sorta bugs me is that having a day on which one is supposed to express his love for his beloved, kinda implies that I'm not doing a very good job on the other 364.25 days.  I'm sure I don't, but I don't like Hallmark, FTD, and Russel Stover reminding me.
So this Valentine Day I'm asking myself, "Do I love my Lord with a love that would remain true even to death?"
And I'm making known, that out of all the people on earth I am thrilled to spend my life with Kathy.  I don't even need to ask her to "BE MY VALENTINE."  She shows me again and again that she already is.

Thank you.  I love you, Kathy.

It's not your fault that a holiday about romance got named after a Christian martyr, so HAPPY VALENTINE DAY.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment