Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Where'd I Come From?

I watched the creation/evolution debate last.  It was a well done presentation, though nothing new was presented.
The matter of origins--"Where did I come from?--has become an increasingly controversial matter.  Am I merely the result of eons of random action, or am I "Fearfully and wonderfully made"?
 
If you are a reader of STTA who does not share a commitment to a Biblical Worldview, let me first say, "Thank You."  I really appreciate you hanging out with me.
I go on to encourage you to not reject the grand story you find in God's word based on a disagreement about how all this stuff--me included--got started.  I make that request based on several reasons:
  1. What you have heard "the Bible says" may not be what the Bible says at all.  Some of what you have heard is put out there by those who deny the Bible.  It's like evaluating steak houses based on reviews written by vegetarians.
  2. Those of us who believe the message of the Bible represent a pretty broad view of origins--all the way from those who believe the world is just over 6,000 years old, to those who find room for billions of years of earth history.  I'm not saying everybody's right.  I am saying that people with a variety of views on origins find the message of the Bible, and in particular the story of Jesus Christ, to be compelling and life-changing.  I'd encourage you to get beyond Genesis, before you reject.
  3. All views of origins involve an element of faith.  We weren't there.  We trust evidence, and more importantly the interpretation thereof.  Some of us trust God and His revelation.
  4. It's complicated.  Anyone who tells you it isn't, doesn't have an adequate grasp.
If you are still with me, go with me to the point of the absolute beginning, whether you see that beginning as being a mere six millennia ago, or billions of years in the past.  Step back one second before that threshold.  What do you see?  Two places in the Bible give an answer:
"In the beginning God. . . ."  Genesis 1:1, and
"In the beginning was the Word. . . ."  John 1:1  (Later verses identify the Word.)

If, and it is an "if" we reject at our peril, all that is comes from God, then it makes sense to believe that we had better consider Him.


It's STTA.  


You can find out more about God's plan here.

No comments:

Post a Comment