Friday, April 18, 2014

Good Friday Thoughts:

As I work through the Biblical record of Jesus death, I keep running into these words that I can only describe as horrible.  That they are used to refer to the Lord Jesus Christ--the One Who healed the blind, the lepers, the lame, the deaf, and even raised the dead, magnifies the words' impact.  He was despised and rejected.  His enemies--to whom He had never done anything--stared, gloated, jeered, sneered, mocked, and opened their mouths against Him like ravening lions.  Words like beaten, flogged, spit-on, slapped, hit, crushed, pierced,and nailed-to are used to describe what happened to Jesus Christ on the day we remember, today.  He was known as a Man of Sorrows.
Beyond any of the horrors contained in those words above, is the unimaginable blackness of the question cried out in the darkness, that "covered the whole land."  The Gospels retain the Aramaic, so we will come closer to hearing the voice of the Lord,  “Eloi, Eloi, lema sabachthani?”  Then to make sure we don't miss the meaning of the words, they are translated, "My God, my God, why have You Abandoned Me?"  We can identify with those words of physical and emotional suffering, but this question plunges us into the inner-workings of the Trinity.  It is beyond us--not only beyond us in wonder, but beyond us in horror.  Never before had the sublime, loving fellowship of Father, Son, and Spirit been broken.  Throughout the eons of eternity it never will be broken again.  Yet on that day, as my Savior hung on the cross and endured suffering that could have been heaped on any human, there was an element to His passion that goes beyond any human comprehension.


Horror.

Side by side with that there is another word.  Again it takes on aspects that exceed my ability to comprehend.

Love.

It was love expressed by God the Father sending His Son, and God the Son "laying down His life for His friends"--and even beyond that for the world.

This evening I'll gather with a group of people to remember the great sacrifice the Lord made on my behalf.  It is a love beyond my comprehension, but from which I reap eternal blessing.
Whether in person, or in spirit, I hope you'll join me.

No comments:

Post a Comment