Wednesday, April 23, 2014

My own version of Screwtape:

Something to Think About for April 23, 2014:

 

Something
To
Think
About,
Lies,

4/23

It is absolutely clear that the more time one spends on the road, the more likely he is to have an accident.  The car that stays in the garage will never hit the guardrail.  So, the faster I drive the quicker I will get to my destination, thus spending less time on the road.  Therefore, driving as fast as I can is the safest way to go.
I love spinning out that flawed syllogism.  If my presentation has the necessary element of apparent sincerity, and if the listener has the requisite desire to believe--dare I say gullibility, there will be a couple of seconds between when I finish my presentation, and the point where the listener says, "Naw!" in which there is a look in the eyes that says, "Maybe he's got something, there."  I've been there.  For a moment in time I almost believe the unbelievable.
Satan is the master of this game, only with him it isn't a game, it is a deadly exercise.  If he can get me to buy into one of his flawed narratives long enough, I become invested in it.  Once I have skin in the game, I come to defend a line of reasoning that just a short time ago I almost proclaimed ridiculous.  At this point I begin to promote error.  I rent billboards to spread my message: 

 
"DRIVE FASTER.  IT'S THE SAFEST WAY TO GO!
 
Let me give you a real example:
I'm a preacher.  I have the incredible privilege of sharing God's word with people, of seeking to persuade people to bring their lives into conformity with "Thus saith the Lord," and in that way giving them the opportunity to reap the blessing that comes from living a God-centered life.  One of the necessary ingredients to preaching is having somebody to listen.  Here is where the "Drive faster" error comes in.  Satan can present it with such smoothness that it looks just like the truth.
    You are preaching God's word, right?
     Uh, Yeah.
     It's a good thing that people hear God's
     word, right?
     Sure.
     More people will come if they like you, if
     they think you are cool, smart, relevant  
     (substitue any number of words, here.)
     If you promote yourself it's a good
     thing. . . 


C. S. Lewis wrote a classic little text, that, though technically fictional, is absolutely real.  The Srewtape Letters is about the games, that are deadly serious, that Satan plays in our minds.  He convinces husbands or wives that violating their wedding vows is really a good thing.  He passes out arguments about justifiable lies like M&Ms.  "They owe you." is a favorite line of his.  He can convince old preachers that John the Baptist's observation that "He must increase and I must decrease," or the Apostle Paul's realization that he was strongest when he was most aware of his weakness, has "nothing to do with me," or this situation, etc. etc.

Thankfully, no one has ever really bought my "Drive faster" line of reasoning.  Satan is better at it.  He doesn't give his line of reasoning accompanied by a smile.  If he had a mother, he could lie to her with tears in his eyes.

Here is what I need to remember.  I can't out argue Satan.  He's smarter than I am.  He's been at this for thousands of years.  What I need to do is hold to the truth.  It's stronger than he is.  After he has been condemned to eternal damnation, God's truth will go on and on.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment