Monday, September 22, 2014

Prayer

 

Something
To
Think
About
Prayer,

9/22

I had the privilege of leading a Bible study at the local jail, today.  I'm thankful to the jail administration for making it possible for the inmates to have input from God's word.
As we were starting I told the guys that we would pray together.  I asked them if anybody had any important hearings coming up, or any other matters they would like for me to pray about.  Nobody had any upcoming court appearances.  Several mentioned family on the outside.  Then one guy said, "How about praying that we'll get out?"
I think the little gathering was kind of shocked when I said I wasn't going to pray that.  Instead, I said, "I'll pray that what is right would be done."  I went on to explain that I want to live in a world where people who do wrong things are held accountable.  Looking at one guy who had asked that I pray for his grandkids, I mentioned that only in a world where people are accountable for their actions could little children be safe.  Before I was finished most nodded in appreciation, if not agreement with my reply.
We are beginning a series on prayer at Covington Bible Church.  Prayer is a spiritual discipline that we don't understand very well, and that many of us don't practice nearly enough.
In the prayer that Jesus offered as a model for praying He said, Thy (God the Father) will be done."  My friend at the jail wasn't thinking about God's will, and often I'm not either.  I want what I want, and right now would be just fine.
As I tried to explain to my little congregation this morning.  A world where any old preacher or prisoner could order God around would be a messed up world.  I'd rather live in a world where people seek God's will.

No comments:

Post a Comment