Saturday, September 27, 2014

Succeeding at Being an Invalid

Something
To
Think
About
Being a good invalid:


You'd think that being an invalid would be easy.  It's not.
First let's sort out some terms and concepts, then we'll come back to being a successful invlaid.  
One dictionary defines inv
alid as "a person made weak or disabled by illness or injury."  That's not quite right, because that definition implies the accidental. "He is an invalid because of a car wreck," or, "Her invalid condition is because of a heart attack."  I know I'm an invalid because I just bought invalid stuff--a walker, etc.--and my condition is the result of something I did on purpose.  So I would add something like, "a person made temporarily weak or disabled by purposeful self-inflicted action."
That brings up another important distinction in regard to invalidity (It's a good word in Britain).  For some their invalid condition is temporary.  They will almost surely get better.  Others are invalids for years and years and for still others, being an invalid is a stopping place on the way to impending death.
My condition shows every promise of being short-term.  My health care people speak in terms of days and weeks.
Whether temporary or long-term, being an invalid is a condition of life.  It is who I am, right now.  Like all of life, I am to use this condition to bring glory to the God of the universe.  Here are some ideas:
  • Like all Physicians since Hypocrites have promised, "First, do no harm."  I've found that a lot of being a successful invalid has to do with eliminating possible dangers.  Since my invalidity was planned, I actually began preparing for it a couple of weeks before it came.  My wife rearranged the furniture, and I constantly ask myself questions like, "If I sit down on that, can I get back up?"  Don't get yourself into anything you can't get out of.  
  • Not all of me is disabled all the time.  There is a lot that I can't do--in some of my previous forays into invalidity, even more so--just ask my wife--but I ought to do what I can.  The rest of you can help we invalids out here.  If we can do it, even if we look awkward, let us.
  • There is a lot I can't do.  Me being an invalid forces others to be a whole lot busier.  I need to acknowledge that with thanks and remember that when my invalidity passes.
  • Being a bad invalid makes everybody's life harder.  I need to do this well.
The Bible says that all of us are invalids.
Isaiah describes the people of Israel in his day this way, "The whole head is sick And the whole heart is faint.  From the sole of the foot even to the head
There is nothing sound in it,  Only bruises, welts and raw wounds, Not pressed out or bandaged, Nor softened with oil.(Is 1:5–6)
Jeremiah says,    ““The heart is more deceitful than all else And is desperately sick; Who can understand it?” (Jer. 17:9)

Being a good invalid means trust.  I take medicines I didn't prepare, and believe my therapist when she says you can bend that just a little more.  I know there are some things I can't do for myself.  I have to trust someone else.  The Bible makes clear that I can't do anything about the invalidity of which Isaiah and Jeremiah speak.  Jesus, though, says, "Trust me."

Find out more below.

Click on the graphic to the right to find out about how God saves invalids.

At CBC, we are starting a series on prayer, this Sunday.


No comments:

Post a Comment