Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Taking Care of What is Mine, Whatever it Costs:

 

Something
To
Think
About
Lawsuits:

I get a variety of newsletters via email.  One I opened this morning featured two well-known names in Evangelicalism and the lawsuits, that currently have their names on them.  One way or another both of them are disputes over the control of intellectual property.  Having spent my life in ministry, I have sympathy for pastors and others who preach and write.  None of us wants to see our stuff used in ways of which we do not approve, and certainly we do not want our  work taken from us.
Yet, if a church or other ministry
 pays my salary, buys me a computer, provides me an office in which to work and in other ways makes it possible for me to write and preach, can I really say that what I produce in those situations is "mine"?
It is a complicated concept, but my intention is not to sort it out.
I see an element here of that which Paul spoke of to the Corinthians, "I say this to your shame. Is it so, that there is not among you one wise man who will be able to decide between his brethren, but brother goes to law with brother, and that before unbelievers?
Actually, then, it is already a defeat for you, that you have lawsuits with one another. Why not rather be wronged? Why not rather be defrauded?"  (1 Co 6:4–7)
The Apostle makes clear that there are bigger concerns, than can be sorted out in a court of law, at stake:
  • The welfare of the church--The Body of Christ--and  
  • The impact our actions will have on a watching world that needs Jesus Christ.
When Christians, especially Christians in leadership, sort out their differences in the public domain, the church is weakened and the watching world makes fun of us, rather than listening to us.   
I pray that these individuals and churches get their stuff sorted out.  
I am more concerned, however, that all of us learn to put the personal behind that which matters far more.
When protecting my interest is greater than my interest in the advance of the Gospel,
when my concern for my rights is greater than my desire to elevate a sister or brother in the body,
when my fight to win so that I can keep what is mine, interferes with the great battle begun by my Lord Who willingly gave all to secure that war,
when any of these are true then I am on the wrong side.
That applies to those of us who minister in small places as well as it does to those serve in mega-places.  Let's get it together friends.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment