Wednesday, November 12, 2014

About sons who call their dads:


Something
To
Think
About,

A Primary Male Relationship:

I watched the first part of the documentary about Robert O'Neill, "The Man Who Killed Usama bin Laden."  The  story is a good piece of work.  I connected with it at several levels.  I'm hoping to watch part 2.
As O'Neill and his teammates progressed in their preparation for the mission, a point came when they concluded that probably, at least for those who would be in bin Laden's house during the raid, that this was a one way mission.  They didn't expect to come back.  O'Neill was already dressed in his gear, ready to board the plane, when he called his dad.  It was the last phone-call he made before the mission began.  Likely, it was the last call he ever expected to make.
We can argue whether that last call should have gone to his wife.  I think at that point what took place in that conversation was so much a man-thing that it had to take place with another man.  I was impressed that it was his dad on the other end.  I am the father of two adult sons.  My dad has been gone for a long time.  From the pit of my stomach I feel a cry that says, "Guys, we need that kind of manly love."  I'm not talking about the cheap, plastic, packaged, and seminarized phony substitutes that our society sells.  I'm talking about the kind of bond that is so tight that when a man is going off to die for a cause that he deems eminently worthy, that he would want to hear his dad's voice.  I'm talking about a love that says, "Son, I don't know what you are doing, and I know I can't know, but I love you, and proud of you.  And one of the greatest privileges in my life is being your dad.

As far as I know, I'm not going off to die tonight, thought the appointment is obviously drawing closer.  I do want to say to my son's.  I love you guys.  I'm very proud to be your dad.  I appreciate the fact that both of you are investing your lives here on earth to make a difference in eternity.

Guys, let's live and love for Jesus!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment