Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Dedication:

Something
To
Think
About,

Dedication:

I know a guy who literally wore the paint off of his car by polishing it on a weekly basis.  A lady I knew thought she was having a heart attack.  She immediately flew into cleaning her house so that if she died--a good probability--those who came to her home to visit wouldn't think she was a bad housekeeper.
DEDICATION!
Here is a question that only seems random:  We know what ambivalence is.  Maybe you don't care.  If someone is very ambivalent does that really mean they are less ambivalent?   I'll let you sort that out.  It is clear that it is possible to be dedicated to almost anything, even nothing.
Something will fill your life.
The Ap
ostle Paul asked with incredulity,  
“Do you not know that when you present yourselves to someone as slaves for obedience, you are slaves of the one whom you obey, either of sin resulting in death, or of obedience resulting in righteousness?”
 (Romans 6:16, NASB95)
If I say, "I can't get out of bed?"  What is my master.
When I claim an inability to stop (you fill in the blank), am I not saying that that particular habit is my master?
Most folk are dedicated to something.  For far too many that to which they are dedicated is essentially nothing.  It seems, though, that what their "master" lacks in substance, they make up for with fervor of devotion.

OK, make a jump with me.  This is Veteran's Day.  From Valley Forge to Afghanistan it would be hard to find a group that is a better example of dedication to something worthy of one's allegiance than those who have served their nation--often in harms way.  As you go about your business today you'll see American flags on display.  When you see one, give thanks for those whose dedication to a worthy cause gave us the freedom we enjoy.  If you see a serviceman/woman, thank them.  But then go on and ask yourself, "To what am I dedicated?"

No comments:

Post a Comment