Monday, February 2, 2015

Who Is Moving?

Something
To
Think
About,

False Motion:



The picture might do it for some of you.  It generally happens to me while I'm waiting at a traffic light.  I have this sudden unsettling feeling that I'm moving.  My right foot reflexively mashes harder on the brake, then there is the split-second of panic because for some reason the brake has no effect on my drifting car.  Thankfully the terror is short-lived.  “Whew, I'm not the one rolling.  It's that semi right next to me."
When I have that experience on the road it usually ends with a chuckle.  When it happens in the ethical realm, the disorientation lasts a lot longer.  Indeed, some Christians--even some Christian leaders--never get over it.
We live in a world in which moral realities appear to swirl and waver like smoke rising from a just-snuffed candle.  It can be disorienting.  Are the "rights-and-wrongs" I grew up with really "wrongs-and-rights" or "maybes-and-maybes" or just a swirling spiral of choices spinning around even more options?
An honest evaluation of the standards that we draw from the Word of God is always valid.  If we are going to say "God said," we need to be sure we heard Him correctly.  But just because we see relative motion between our culture and the standards drawn from the Bible does not mean that those standards are in motion or that they need to move.  In fact what we really need is a fixed point by which we judge everything else that swirls and drifts.  Part of the reason that the Bible is good news is it is dependable.  It is the rock that stands firm even in the storms of life.
Don't loose sight of it.


It's STTA.

Here is a site where you can find out about Jesus Christ and His plan for you.  You'll find several opportunities to explore.  If we can help you, let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment