Wednesday, March 11, 2015

 

Something
To
Think
About,

My Record:

One of the current scandals--real or manufactured, depending on one's perspective--has to do with a private email server.  I confess, I'm old enough that the word "server" conjures up this:

Not this:

A server is just a computer.  I know people who work on them.  I don't understand the process, but I know servers are integral links between my computer and yours, enabling you to read this email.  I figure the average life-span of an STTA, on your device, is about half the time it takes to read it.  You can't afford to waste memory space storing my daily musings.  But those servers have--warning, I'm going to use a technical term, here--a whole bunch of storage space.  As I understand it, servers that serve government and business systems are set up to store and catalog all emails.  So I figure somewhere in the bowels 
of some server farm every something I ever thought about is resting comfortably on a hard drive.  
That brings me back to the current scandal or "scandal."  The theory is:  "If I own and maintain my own server I can make it harder for authorities to lay cyber-hands on my emails, tweets, and vacation pictures."  "Foul!" cries the other side.  Apparently the new standard is that public officials are to live in completely glass houses.  In fact it looks to me like the standard includes a requirement to leave the lights on and provide benches for the comfort of the digital voyeurs.

It's really nothing new.  Two millennia ago Jesus said, 
“But I tell you that every careless word that people speak, they shall give an accounting for it in the day of judgment. “For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.” (Matthew 12:36–37, NASB95)  
It is a server that cannot be hacked or erased.  The power supply will not be compromised.
A few years ago I carried on regular communication with someone living in a land where the government carried on regular surveillance of emails and phone-calls, especially communications to and from "subversives," as they regarded my friend.   I gave a lot more thought to the emails I sent.  I avoided certain words.  Questions that would attract the interest of the authorities went unasked, or were embedded in "code" language.  I need to bring that level of awareness to all my communications; I need to be daily aware that all my words remain behind.  
  • Are they kind?
  • Do they build others up?
  • Are they true?
  • Are they wholesome?
It looks like to me that the current brouhaha--Servergate?--will result in every bit and byte, on every hard drive concerned, being not only read but analyzed, dissected, time-stamped, and discussed.  Any attempt to hide will only cause the wattage of the searchlights to go up.

Be that as it may, it is absolutely clear that nothing I say will be hidden from the Lord.  I'm a fool if I try.  What is wise is to heed the song many of us learned as toddlers:

 
"O Be Careful Little Mouth What You Say."
It's STTA

While we will give an account for our words and actions--Bad News.  The Lord forgives--Good News.  Here is a site where you can find out about Jesus Christ and His plan for you.  You'll find several opportunities to explore.  If we can help you, let us know.

No comments:

Post a Comment