Friday, March 13, 2015

"But, what have you done for me, lately?"

In his last recorded speech, the leader of Israel, Joshua, attacks a common syndrome--"What have you done for me lately?"  Teachers, bosses who really care about their employees, certainly parents, and pastors often run into this query.  It is almost never spoken, but often comes across with near deafening volume.  
In Joshua 24, the old general takes the role of prophet.  God speaks throughhim, reminding the people of all that He had done, all the way back to their nation's 
earliest roots.  This cornucopia of blessing is summed up in vs. 12-13. "It was not your swords or bows that brought you victory.  I gave you land you had not worked on, and I gave you towns you did not build—the towns where you are now living. I gave you vineyards and olive groves for food, though you did not plant them."
Dave Ramsey, a Christian financial adviser, and radio host universally replies to the greeting, "How are you doing?" with, "Better than I deserve."  It's an answer not only worth giving, but one that I should internalize.  Joshua brought his people to that realization.  "Look around at where you live.  Take a moment and feel the satisfaction of the last meal you ate.    Think about the fact that your children are in safety.  You don't deserve any of that.  You didn't do any of it."  As I survey my situation I see much the same--Better--far better--than I deserve.
If all that's expected of me is a polite "Thank YOU."  I'm OK with the observation that I'm blessed beyond anything I have a right to expect.  Joshua, however, together with the Apostle Paul (Romans 12:1) indicates that a recognition of past blessing ought to lead to appropriate present action--fear the Lord, serve Him, and present my body.  At that point I feel that question welling up, ridiculous as it is, "But what have you done for me LATELY?"
That kind of ingratitude on a people to people level is bad enough.  On a creature to creator level it is sinful in the fullest sense.
More this Sunday morning at 10:45.

With gratitude that you read these thoughts,
It's STTA

No comments:

Post a Comment