Monday, July 6, 2015

The New Normal

 

Something
To
Think
About,

The New Normal:

I'm a really lousy record-keeper so I can't begin to tell you how long I did STTA before I took a break a couple of months ago (here).  As that last STTA indicated my life has changed in the past three and half months.  Though decisions are still being made, I'm settling into my new roles.
A couple of observations:
First a brief explanation.  I'm a guy, a guy who has done the same thing all of his adult life, and someone who has always been reasonably independent.  I tell you that because I'm not sure how much of my experience is transferable.  If you are really different than me then maybe not so much.
  1. In one way the changes have been more profound than I thought they would be.  Especially guys are pretty tied up in what they do.  Change that, and you change a lot.  
  2. On the other hand, I woke up on March 16th precisely the same person who had gotten up the day before.  The notion that everything ought to change because of a date on the calendar, whether my paycheck comes from an employer or Social Security, or which office I hang out in, is really pretty ridiculous.  
    I still have gifts, abilities, and responsibilities given to me by the One who will be my boss until I die.  I need to keep on serving.  As John Piper has so eloquently written, "Don't Waste Your Life."  Now that I'm in a place where I have a greater measure of discretion about what I do with my life, that challenge is more important than ever.
  3. l've become much more aware of old people.  I guess it's because I am one.  I go to Walmart and see people riding those scooter/carts, or using their push carts in lieu of a walker, and I'm aware that in about ten minutes I'll be there.  I exercise--not as much as I should--watch my diet--not as closely as I ought--and visit my Dr. as scheduled.  Still I'm aware that most of the sand has passed through the narrow part of my hour glass.  I've been reading a book about making decisions at my end of life.  One of the points the authors make is that we don't have time for do-overs.  I'm not afraid to die, but I see life as more precious.
  4. It's been good that I've had a time to step back, get out of Dodge (you can read about just how far out of Dodge I was for a while, here).  My new boss, Pastor Doug Williams, or as I call him the "Right Reverend Boss Man," has been marvelously gracious and patient with me, as has the congregation of CBC.  My wife has walked with me hand-in-hand.  Still, it's taking sometime to rearrange the pieces.  That's not bad.  It's just the way it is.
  5. I figure there are many of you, who like me, don't particularly like the word "retirement."  It conjures up a finality and state of leisure that we're not comfortable with.  Just trust me on this.  Don't fight it.  Unless you are prepared to spend a significant portion of your life (see above concerning how precious our remaining time is) giving a long explanation every time somebody asks, "How's Retirement?" just go with it.  It's how most of those around me describe what I did March 15th.  I'm trying to do the same thing in retirement that I did back when I was working.  I'm trying to invest what God has entrusted to me to His glory.  If I correct folk every time they use the word "retirement," I won't have time for much else.
This started our being a simple announcement.  Everything above is just introductory.
When I sent that March 16 STTA I wasn't sure whether that would be the last one or not.  Turns out it wasn't.  I've been thinking about Something to Think About.  I noticed that no one sent me a note indicating how glad they were that I finally stopped out my little mindless nuggets.  That's enough encouragement for me.  I figure that now that I'm semiretired--that's my preferred term--I'll send out STTA whenever I think of something that I think is worth thinking about.  If that doesn't work for you, just use the unsubscribe button.  Your life is precious, too.  You need to use it the way you think is best.

For now, anyhow, it brings me a great deal of joy to once again say . . .


It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment