Tuesday, July 7, 2015

What Isn't Temporary?

 

Something
To
Think
About,

Temporariness:

The mom of a new bride was talking to me recently.  
"How are the newly-weds?" I asked.
"They are doing fine.  They are really enjoying setting up their temporary apartment."
The young couple is barely back from their honeymoon.  Both are college students.  The apartment they'll be living in for the next year doesn't open up for another three weeks or so, so they are crashing where one of them lived pre-nuptials.  At first I smiled within.  "Young love," I thought.  "Why go to all the trouble of setting up a place for such a short time?"
The fact is, though, we all live on a precarious balance.  My house, car, wardrobe, computers, and stuff in general is all daily succumbing to moth and rust.  What remains will be consumed with fire. Yet God has given me all that He has entrusted to me so thatI can enjoy it.  Clearly maximum gratification comes from using my stuff to the glory of God. At the time the Mother-of-the-Bride spoke with me I was involved in a remodeling project.  I've been doing these for a long time.  One of the calculations that almost always comes into play is, "How long will it last?"  Do I spend the extra money for the better material, or is the less expensive route OK?   My wife questioned me about one decision I made on this project.  My reply was, "I want this to last until I die."  I do, and at my age that is a realistic metric.  The problem is I don't know when my maker will recall me.  The successful farmerthought he had many years of plenty ahead of him.  In truth his future on earth was measured by mere hours.   Peter asks a probing question,
 "Since all these things are to be destroyed . . . what sort of people ought [we] to be . . . ?" (2 Peter 3:11)

I need to constantly keep in min
d that everything around me is temporary.  Jesus told us that we should lay up treasures in heaven, not on earth.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment