Wednesday, November 18, 2015

We Are All Pretty Much The Same:

Something
To Think About
People are the same:


 
I'm writing this from the other side of the world. I ate breakfast at the same table with a young lady who essentially speaks no English.  I speak no Japanese.  I was eating Cinnamon Toast Crunch cereal. I couldn't begin to tell you what was in her bowl, but it smelled good.  I'm a six foot senior citizen. She is a young lady who barely reaches five feet.
Yesterday I met with a Korean guy from Texas, who is running a school in the Federated States of Micronesia, which is named after a place named after city in Japan.  A guy from another nation was part of the meeting.  He is a one-man multicultural movement.








Every time I come out here, I have a Dorothy moment--other than the fact that we have hills, I figure small-town Virginia isn't that different from Kansas.  Clearly I'm not there, now.
I'm working to learn to be more aware of, and sensitive to, the cultural differences that exist between different people groups.  A nutritionist might analyze the two breakfasts on the table this morning and declare one better than another, but by the measurement I'm using they are equal.  I might like one better than the other, but that is something different, isn't it.  There I sat with my coffee, and she with her tea, me with my cereal and she with her noodles, both of us doing the same thing. People all over the world eat.  At the most basic level we are the same.
After breakfast I attended a prayer meeting.  Oddly back in Virginia, where it still isn't Thursday morning, I generally meet with a group of Pastors on Thursday mornings.  The conversation around the table was not significantly different than the talk I've been part of for decades.  A group of guys, concerned to share God's word and minister to people, aware that we can only do so by the power of God.

I could go on and share experiences that demonstrate the oneness of the human race.  Instead, let me point to two powerful pieces of Biblical testimony:
The Bible is unequivocally clear that there is but one Savior.  Jesus Christ is not subdivided, or duplicated based on skin-color, language, or geography.  Peter boldly proclaimed, "
there is no other name under heaven that has been given among men by which we must be saved."  (Acts 4:12).  Paul speaks of "one God and one Mediator."  Both are speaking of God's unique Son, Jesus Christ.  He came to seek and to save the Lost (Luke 19:10).  According to Romans 3:23 that includes us all.
While the Bible has been, and is being translated into thousands of languages around the globe, there is but one Word of God..As Paul tells us his protoge' Timothy it is able to "give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus" (2 Timothy 3:15).  It is this message of salvation that Jesus commanded be shared with all the world (Matthew 28:19-20).  Seldom can it be said that one size fits all, but one Bible points all people to one Savior, because all of us are the same.

 

Find out about how the message of Christ's love is able to change all people here.

No comments:

Post a Comment