Sunday, April 17, 2016

Sleeping on the Job

Something
To Think About
Sleeping on the Job:

A very common image for the church--it applies to both churches and The Church—is the Body.  1 Corinthians 12 is one of the most extensive treatments.  One point that is abundantly clear is that every part needs to do its part.
A crisis, or maybe it was a “pre-crisis,” developed in the early church.  

 
"As the believers rapidly multiplied, there were rumblings of discontent. The Greek-speaking believers complained about the Hebrew-speaking believers, saying that their widows were being discriminated against in the daily distribution of food."  Acts 6:1 (NLT)
 
I’m looking back at my time as a pastor, and at the record of pastors I know.  My (our) tendency would be to put on an apron and make sure the soup distribution was equal.  The Apostles were too wise for that.
So the Twelve called a meeting of all the believers. They said, 

 
“We apostles should spend our time teaching the word of God, not running a food program.  And so, brothers, select seven men who are well respected and are full of the Spirit and wisdom. We will give them this responsibility.  Acts 6:2–3 (NLT)
 
There are times when I have gotten up from a chair to find that my foot had “gone to sleep.”  I suppose I could have just crawled to where I needed to go, letting my knees fill in for my slumbering foot.  The wiser course of action though is to massage the foot, or even gently stomp it on the ground to get the circulation going again.   Getting the foot back in the game is good not only for the rest of the body, but for the foot itself.
What in the body should be doing?
What might be being neglected because you are not on the job?
It’s STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment