Monday, April 4, 2016

Water

 

Something
To Think About
Water:

This evening I did something that I’ve never done before.  I stood in line to get water.  I can remember, visiting some of my old relatives when I was a child, where we had to draw water from the well.  There have been a few times, either when I was working on the plumbing or when there was a brief interruption to our utility service, when nothing came out when I turned the spigot.  But this is a different matter.  The El Nino weather pattern has brought drought conditions to Micronesia that combined with the increase in tourism to the tiny nation of Palau has created a real shortage.  Our water goes on and off by a schedule passed down from the government.  We are fortunate, some of our friends have basically no water.  Their water come “on,” but by the time the limited pressure brings water to their faucet it is already turned off.  Most people in this region either filter their water, or buy it.  That’s why I was lined up tonight, at one of the only places you can go to get your jug refilled.
It has already caused me to think differently about H2O.  From taken for granted to precious in one leap.
Water was—still is—precious in Israel, the land of the Bible.  Perhaps that is why the Bible often uses water as a picture for the blessings that God gives.  In just a quick count I spotted something like fifteen times in the book of Psalms that water is symbol of blessing.  Here is one example.
O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly;
My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You,
In a dry and weary land where there is no water.
Thus I have seen You in the sanctuary,
To see Your power and Your glory.
Because Your lovingkindness is better than life,
My lips will praise You. So I will bless You as long as I live;
I will lift up my hands in Your name.

(Psalm 63:1–4, NASB95)
In the New Testament the image continues.  Jesus gives this marvelous invitation.
“He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said,
‘From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.’”

 (John 7:38, NASB95)
Standing in line with my empty jugs, I was thinking about that.  I hope you have plenty of water.  I encourage you to join me in praying for the islands of Micronesia.  Most of all, I encourage you to consider the offer of an endless supply of living water from our Lord Jesus Christ.


It’s STTA.

Find information about Living Water here.

No comments:

Post a Comment