Monday, July 4, 2016

Freedom of (& on) the Road:

 

FOURTH on the road:

As I sit here typing, the words of an old folk ballad, "I'll be gone five-hundred miles when the day is done."  Actually, if plans go as I hope, it'll be considerably more than that.  I had breakfast with some folk out enjoying our Independence Day on their motorcycles.  Their conversation was full of route numbers and "I'll catch up."  As near as I could tell they have no where they really need to go, and they're enjoying it immensely.
Part of the time I live in a nation where I'd have to drive every road in the country several times to go as far as I'll go before I go to bed tonight.  Other places I've been on the road the road is so rough that if you went five-hundred miles your back would be done.  I recall traveling a couple of hundred miles in one nation, and being flagged down every forty or fifty miles.  It's just routine there for police to check papers, question the driver, and inspect the car's contents if they choose.
My big-bike riding breakfast companions have it right.  The freedom of America's open roads is worth celebrating.  It is something that we ought not take for granted.  It is a resource that God has granted.  When my DAY is done, what will I have done with it.
 


It’s STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment