Tuesday, July 26, 2016

Hospitality

 

Being Hospitable--not to be confused with being in the
. . . :

I'm reading John Piper's book on marriage, This Momentary Marriage.  I recommend it.  I'll probably say more about it later.  Chapter ten is about a subject that might surprise you, hospitality--not only addressed to married folk, but to, and, also, about, singles.  In keeping with the oft-expressed passion of Piper's life, he introduces his topic as a "desire for Christ to be magnified in the way married people and single people show hospitality to each other."
Hospitality is a skill and discipline that is to be looked for in the lives of those who are being considered for leadership in the church, and as a qualification for those who are good candidates to be helped by the church.  Look here and herein 1 Timothy, and here in Titus.  I get the idea, since hospitality is something that is expected in leaders of the church as well as those who are being helped by the church, that what we have here are two poles.  It is kind of like saying, "All you folk over there, and all of you way over there, and everyone in between, be showing hospitality." That is a conclusion that is reinforced by passages like Romans 12:13, where "practicing hospitality" is a virtue found in a long list good things that Christians ought to do.  Though I don't think scripture recommends exposing our families to danger, Hebrews 13:2 indicates that our willingness to be hospitable should extend even to strangers.  Peter says that we should do it "without complaint."  From Mary and Martha who were hostesses to Jesus and His disciples to those who are pronounced blessed by the Lord because they showed kindness to His people when they were in time of need (here) the New Testament is full of examples of those who used their resources to help others.  The little book of Philemon tells of a family that excelled in this virtue, and at the end of the Book of Acts, even though Paul was under house arrest, he opened his quarters to receive others so they could talk about the things of God.  I wonder if he got his guard to serve coffee.
As I write this, I'm out in my man-cave.  I started while I was in the house, but my wife, who excels in hospitality, had invited some ladies in for a meeting--I know my place.  As I write I'm reminded of some friends who jokingly refer to their home as a "B&B."  I, and Kathy and I, have been guests in their home on many occasions.  Their home is used as a tool to further the kingdom.  In the chapter in his book, Piper challenges folk to reach across what are often social barriers in showing hospitality.  Married folk ought to include singles and vice-versa.  Ask my wife about one of her favorites invites and she will tell you about a widower friend of ours.  There is a specialty food that he enjoys.  Every year when that culinary delight is in season, he unashamedly in single guy fashion, will lay out a great spread, and will invite a couple of couples into his home to enjoy, and we do.  The food is great, but sharing in one another's lives is so much better.
Hospitality, it's not about imitating Martha Stewart, though if that's your thing it's fine.  Whether you are an old preacher in chains, a widow, a widower, servants of God with limited resources, or a lady with a home she can open to her friends.  Be hospitable.  If we do it right--and that has to do with the condition of our heart, not the position of our pinkie when we hold our teacup--it will bring glory to God.
BTW, you'll have to come one at a time--it's that small--but I try to be hospitable in my man-cave/study.  Stop by.
 
It’s STTA.
 
Disclaimer:  No shopping carts were removed without permission in the production of this STTA.

This Momentary Marriage, like many of John Piper's books, can be read for free, clickhere.

You can read more about the life-changing Good News, that gives us something worth sharing when we invite others in,  here.

No comments:

Post a Comment