Thursday, August 4, 2016

Warriors, Old & Young

Warriors, Old & Young:

I just left breakfast.  Several of my preacher buddies and I get together every week to just talk.   Part of our conversation this morning had to do with old "war stories."  I'm the oldest in the group.  I asked another pastor from my era to tell about a conflict he had lived through several decades ago.  I'm glad my friend made it through with his integrity intact.  I have been blessed by his survival.  Had he not made it through that crisis, I'm confident that he would have gone on to another ministry in another place, but my life would have been much poorer without his friendship for these years.
The breakfast conversation continued as I rode home with the youngest member of our group.  What place does experience have in enabling us to lead people?  I'd like to think, it is worthwhile, but it's not the gold-standard.  After fifty years of doing something some folk don't have half a century of experience; they have one year of involvement repeated forty-nine times.  We live in changing times.  In times of transition the young and nimble, with their cutting-edge skills, may be better able to lead than the old and experienced who possess a knowledge of that which is now long past.  
One of the big components of wisdom is knowing what to keep, how long to keep it, what to dump, and when to dump it.  Wise and Stodgy, Experienced, and Irrelevant all live in the same neighborhood.
Lord, help me and my young friend, as well as those in between, to know the difference.
 
It’s STTA.
 
 
The link above will take you to an archive of things to think about.  This one will take you to one that I add to less often.  It tends to be a bit more serious.

You can read about the life-changing Good News  here.

No comments:

Post a Comment