Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What, Exactly, Are You Conserving?

Wed. 10/14
I run across a lot of folk who take pride in being conservative. Likewise, I frequently meet people who spit out the word as an insult—in the same category as accusing someone of not loving his mother.
So, is it virtuous to be a conservative, or is it a vice?
It all depends: If what is being conserved is a good thing, then conservatism is wonderful. If not, then not so much. I know of folk who claim to be defenders of the faith, but the faith they are defending has been wrong for hundreds of years. I find little to praise in that kind of conservatism.
Some folk describe me, and the Covington Bible Church, as conservative. If you are speaking of politics, then concerning the church, that is totally wrong, because other than truly Biblical issues, we really don’t have a position. And even I am often uncomfortable with the title. Sure, I continue to believe and teach the unchanging truth of the Bible, but beyond that I see a lot that needs to be changednot conserved.
It’s STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment