Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Some Thoughts on the New YearL

In doing some reports I was looking back over the past year.
2 things struck me.
1) Even for a guy, like me who keeps rather poor records, there is a considerable trail that is left behind. A friend of mine, who sometimes has to locate people who don't want to be found, once told me, "Don't ever try to hide from me. I'll find you." It reminds that what we do is not in secret. If that is true on a human level, how much more with the One, whose "eyes move to and fro throughout the earth."
2) Time is valuable. As I looked back I could see things that I accomplished, and more that I could have, had I more fully followed the command to redeem the time.
At the beginning of this new year, it's STTA.


Whether I know it or not, anytime I make a plan for the future I put myself on God's turf.
I remember the past--not as well as I would like--but for me to tell you what I did last night is not miraculous; it is a function of my mind.
I am living in the present. If I were into Twitter--or whatever new innovation replaced it last night while I was sleeping--which I'm not, I could bore you with an endless stream about what I am doing. Again, that is not miraculous. We consider self-awareness to be one of the basic indicators of intelligent life.
But the moment i begin to talk about or plan for the future I have entered the realm where I am totally dependent on God. The future is a place none of us have ever been.
As I read and experience the record of God's faithfulness in the past, and as I walk with Him in the present, I gain confidence to face the unknown of the not yet. I don't know what tomorrow holds, but I know who holds tomorrow.
It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment