Wednesday, June 23, 2010

But, What Does the Bible Say?

No doubt there is an element of the curmudgeon in what I about to say, but that doesn't negate the point.
I'm tired of Christians telling me that the Bible doesn't say that they can't drink.
A few years ago--keep in mind that at my age a few years can be 20 or 30--I observed concerning the clergy members of a particularly liberal denomination, that smoking seemed to be a requirement for ordination. It was at a time when the downturn in recreational burning of tobacco in America was already well underway yet these people of the cloth (this was a denomination that early began to ordain women) all exuded smoke on a regular basis. It seemed to be more than a craving for nicotine. In addition to stained teeth and fingers, and a hacking cough, the two-packs-a-day gave these "spokespersons for God" a definite worldly air. "We are just, hack hack, common folk like you--long drag--don't let the backward collar fool you." Finished with the practiced, nonchalant snuffing of a butt that only an old hand can pull off.
I get the feeling that a lot of the young, evangelical social drinkers are after the same sort of credentials. "This isn't my grandfather's Christianity, and I've got the beer, wine, ale (take your pick) to prove it."
They post pictures of themselves drinking their libation of choice on their social networking page, prominently display their winerack in their home, advertize for their favorite brand, etc..
They argue the merits of one brew or vintage over another in such a way that they make plain that they are knowledgeable of such things--dare I say "more knowledgeable than the unwashed non-imbibers"?
Some of my emergent, emerging, already emerged--I don't know--colleagues seem to imply that drinking is a necessary part of ministry. Every Bible study needs to include a round of beer, or better yet Guinness, and having a meal without wine is not only barbaric but so socially inept that it clearly cuts one off from the masses he/she is trying to reach.

How about this?
Quit telling me that the Bible doesn't say you can't drink alcohol.
I never said it did.
I have upset people by being honest in regard to my hermeneutic conclusions. I think Jesus drank alcohol, and even created it at the wedding feast at Cana. I think the "little wine" that Paul prescribed for Timothy's stomach trouble had alcohol in it. I think the content was low, but it was there.
So just quit saying that to me as if preached old Billy Sunday sermons every other week. Here it is in writing: The Bible does not say that you cannot drink.

OK, what does the Bible say?

  • It says that drunkenness is wrong. A quick reading of Proverbs will give abundant evidence. Ephesians 5:18 gives a direct command.

    What are your limits?

    What indicators are you watching for that would tell you that you are one of the perhaps 10% of our population who tends toward alcoholism?

    If a beverage existed that tasted exactly like your favorite "adult beverage," but had no alcohol, would you drink it?
  • Whether we like it or not, the Bible says that we are our brother's keeper. If 10 folk who never drank go out for their first beer or glass of wine, it is likely that one of them will develop a drinking problem. For the other 9 to glibly say that, "The Bible doesn't say I can't drink." won't cut it. Romans 14 & 15 indicates that especially within the body of Christ we have a responsibility for the welfare of others.
    My concern at this point is not theoretical. I've seen it happen.
  • The Bible says that we are to be salt and light zealous of good works. Alcohol creates a lot of carnage in our world. In Jesus day if a drunk camel rider went off the road, probably the damage could be reckoned in a few bushels of grain, or lost grapes. Not now.
    A German friend tells me that among his colleagues whoever is going to drive doesn't drink at all. I wonder how widespread that practice is. (When I was in Germany, I was not encouraged by the fact that at the service plazas on Autobahn--where folk legally drive in excess of 150 mph--hard liquor was sold alongside snacks and soft drinks. Among my countrymen, the standard is most often expressed in terms of, "I only had ____ (You fill in the number.).

So, my Christian, drinking friends you are right.
The Bible doesn't say that you can't drink alcohol. It does however say a great many things about what you and I must do in that regard. Some of us have chosen to honor those Biblical mandates by not drinking. That does not make me a legalist or a Biblical ignoramus (Well maybe I am, but not for the reasons we are discussing.) I am concerned. I think that while merely quoting what the Bible doesn't say some of my friends are assuming no responsibility for what it does say.

I've seen too many situations where people young and old had their lives ruined by alcohol. I can't and I won't say that you can't drink. I do ask you to consider the reasons not to. To friends who claim to love the Lord, but whose only statement about the Christian and alcohol is, "The Bible doesn't say we can't drink."

I'm sorry (No, really I'm not.) but that won't cut it.

No comments:

Post a Comment