Monday, June 7, 2010

It's weird.
I took my friends motor-scooter out a little while ago. I'm a regular bicycle rider and have ridden motorcycles and mopeds in the past, so being on two wheels wasn't the issue. It was riding/driving on the left.
I found myself thinking through every turn. For more than forty hears making a left-hand turn has meant going to the far side of the road I was turning onto. Not here. Today it meant turning into the nearest lane. It is the right-hand turn that requires greater vigilance. Through in round-abouts at almost every intersection and--well--let's just stay it kept me alert.
I'm glad to say no paint or blood was lost.

So what is the right side of the road to drive on.? In much of the world it is the left side
How should we read, left to right or tfel ot thgir?
We could accumulate hundreds of similar cultural and regional questions.
If today I had chosen to be an arrogant American and ridden my friend's scooter on the right . . . well you finish the thought.
Are all rules of right and wrong just arbitrary matters. I heard yesterday that Samoa recently changed its law. It used to be a drive-on-the-right country. Now they are keep-left. I assume they have their reasons; neither in the ultimate sense is right or wrong.
Are there matters that are always right or always wrong? Who gets to say concerning these matters there are no options? Are there principles and laws that are beyond region or nation, concepts that if we choose to violate them there is a price to be paid?

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment