Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Dust is gathering . . .

I think all of it is temporary, but it does remind me of a permanent condition. I have a bruise on my side--from where, I don't know--a finger that I mashed loading the truck, a stiff knee from a tug-of-war that seemed like a good idea at the time, and a corn on my toe that's getting better. As I say, I expect all these dings and dents to get better, but it does remind me that I, like everything else in this fallen world, am winding down.
My piddly reminders pale in comparison to folk I know who are dealing with cancers, dementia, death of a loved one, and the personal impact of global conflict. "For we know that the whole creation has been groaning . . . and not only the creation, but we ourselves." (Romans 8:22-23, ESV) All of us, even youngsters, deal with aches and pains, some have to endure screaming discomfort. I'm glad we live in a time when aspirin, and other medical wonders help a lot. But as you reach for the pain-killer be reminded of the cosmic message in your pain-in-the-neck, or wherever. "This world is a mess. None of us are going to get out alive."* An old Gospel song says, "This world is not my home. I'm just a passin' through . . ." Indeed! Can you also continue the Spiritual, "My treasures are laid up somewhere beyond the blue"?
It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment