Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Frequently, I don't get finished with a message. I've learned over the years to not leave all the undone part at the end, but as I go along I have to do some editing on the fly. Last Sunday I was sharing from Mark 6 about the mission on which Jesus sent the Apostles. Something that rings loud and clear through the seven verses is authority. They went out not as Peter, John and Phillip, but as representatives of Jesus Christ, empowered by Him to deal with evil-spirits, to heal, and to proclaim a message of repentance. There is an important point, though, that I didn't get to. I don't claim authority in the same sense. I don't see God appointing Apostles today. But I do have a message that is totally reliable, has God's stamp of approval, and carries His authority. If you remember--if not look--Jesus told the disciples that when they came to a town they were to depend on the hospitality of someone in that town for food and shelter. If, however, no one listened to them or opened their home, "as you go out from there, "shake the dust off the soles of your feet for a testimony against them." Lane, in his commentaty, explains the cultural significance of this action, and concludes that that it was to symbolically consign these people to judgment. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the Living God. (Hebrews 10:31) It's STTA

No comments:

Post a Comment