Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Gender Discrimination?

I heard the argument a few times before it penetrated my "I'm-not-interested" barrier, but this morning it got my attention.
There is a new ruling in Minnesota, that bans "Ladies Night" at bars. It's one of those things that doesn't affect me personally--for several reasons--but it is part of a larger syndrome that has an effect on each of us.
The rationale behind the ban is that allowing women to have a night when they can get free or discounted drinks is gender discrimination.
Well, Duh!
Let me digress a moment.
From time to time I find myself in an establishment where the markings on the restroom doors are so cute, unclear, painted-over, defaced, or missing that I enter the men's room with a bit of misgiving. In such cases, I always do a quick survey of the room, looking for one particular kind of plumbing fixture. You only find these items in Guy's room. It is an admission of, and accommodation to, one of the basic differences between males and females.
I'm not really concerned about how much guys and gals pay for their cocktails in Minneapolis; I figure they will sort that out. But the idea that men and women should always be treated the same is not only wrong, it's just plain stupid.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment