Friday, July 2, 2010

Only In The Movies:

I'm not sure if August Rush qualifies for chick-flick classification, but there was a notable lack of car-chases and things being blown up. Really I kind of liked it, though. It has that pastel, breezy summer evening kind of feel. Following the plot requires a willing suspension of disbelief, and the ending is as predictable as tomorrow's sunrise, but I enjoyed the warm feeling, and interesting mix of music enough that I stayed with it. In the end, I realized I had been had. I figure a lot of folk bought the whole bill of goods. Many lack the ethical grid and moral compass that would let them know that the soft breeze, and lovely music gently compelled and softly lured them to rocky ruin. A "love-child" conceived in a one-night-stand is born to a talented cellist. "Dad," a soulful pop/blues/I-don't-know-what-to-call-him guitar player singer, is unaware that he has even fathered a child. Mom's dad, vicariously ambitious, tells his daughter that grandson is dead, and hands him over to the state. I've been doing, teaching about, and observing family long enough to know that this is not a formula for happily-ever-after, except in the movies, or at least this one. I don't want to go overboard, but music is nigh unto a pan-deity in this airbrushed universe. It sustains, gives hope, draws, and in the end causes all things to work together for good. Only in the movies. The Bible, on the other hand, speaks about real life in the real world, "Do not be deceived, God is not mocked; for whatever a man sows, this he will also reap." (Galatians 6:7, NASB95) It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment