Monday, February 14, 2011

For Better or for worse:

It is a great privilege. I stand there in my best suit, at my best behavior (My wife tends to enforce that.), and in my best voice I utter those words that the young couple only half understand, ". . . for better or for worse. . . ."
She in her lovely white dress, and he in his rented tux, understand the best part, or at least they come close. They are "in love," thrilled to be in one another's presence, looking forward to a honeymoon in a location where, no matter how lovely the scenery, the most remarkable thing they will see is the gleam in their new spouse's eye. I remember that for weeks after my wedding I took great joy in calling my wife, "Wife." Whenever I was able I accompanied that new title with a suitable look into her eyes. Knowing Kathy by that title still brings great joy to me.
But I digress. I don't think the average couple who stands before me gets the idea of worse. That takes a while.
I've walked into hospital rooms and seen that "worse" kind of love in action. IVs and monitors hooked to one, but, more importantly, a hand sticks out from under the white sheet, lovingly held by one who knows, or is coming to know, what worse means. And this is the wonder: Spend a few minutes with that couple--likely you won't even need to talk--and you will come to realize that the well half of the couple is not holding that sick hand out of therapeutic pity. No she/he lovingly caresses that hand because that act brings as much joy and comfort to the one quietly sitting by the bed as it does to the one in it.
I've seen that darker/harder side of marital love when I have buried children, commiserated with parents of youngsters who seemed determined to ruin their lives, and others, or prayed with couples when careers, homes or dreams have crashed.
It's probably impossible for those youngsters who stand before me to comprehend the power of those storms that will almost surely crash on their home. I'm not even sure I want them to try to comprehend. What they need is a commitment--not only to one another, but more so to the Lord--that will carry them through.

On Valentines Day I thank my lovely wife for making my days better by far, and holding my hand when they were worse.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment