Friday, February 18, 2011

More Thoughts on Entitlements:

Still more on ENTITLEMENTS:

Out of all the people you know, who, or what class of people, are the least likely to claim entitlement?
I'd have to put moms near the top of my list. It was certainly true that my mom was far more likely to do for others, even when a case could be made that she had a right to do for herself. Some of us have been fortunate enough to have friends who followed the pattern of Christ, not looking out merely for their own interests but also for the interests of others. (Philippians 2:4) For all of us know Him, Christ would be at the top of our list. About Him it is said, "though He was rich, yet for your [our] sake He became poor, so that you [we] through His poverty might become rich." (Philippians 2:6)
I see this pattern modeled by the Apostle Paul, as well. He did a masterful job, in 1 Corinthians 9 of articulating the entitlements of those who make ministry the main focus of their lives. Then he says, "But I have used none of these things. . . . For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a slave to all. . . . I have become all things to all men." (1 Corinthians 9:15-22)
The pattern that we see in the life of the Lord Jesus is to surrender for the sake of others rather than to demand for my own benefit. In Paul's ministry there was a defense of entitlement for others, but surrender of those same rights for the sake of others.
I'm not primarily talking public policy, here, rather my focus is personal practice, but the two are not unrelated. There is a significant portion of our population who see that maintaining our entitlements as they are currently defined is impoverishing others--particularly coming generations--yet their response is, "Yes, but I have a right to those things." Some would even go on to say, "Others, [generations to come, etc.] will just have to look out for themselves. I'm going to get what I'm entitled to." Various groups, unions, organizations, and people-groups have hired lobbyists to make just that point..
As I say, my point is not primarily political, though, obviously, if enough people in our nation begin to think more like Christ, and less like people only concerned about their own bottom-line, our public life will change accordingly.
Anyhow,
It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment