Thursday, February 9, 2012

TRUST:

A while back I was in a meeting I had been dreading.  I don't remember what the issue was, but I had been anxious about it for several days.  When the item came up at the meeting all the tension I had imparted to the issue vanished--or really the fact that it had never really been there became clear.  After the appropriate action was easily and pleasantly taken I confessed my anxiety to the rest of the group.  A very wise friend commented, "That was uncalled for."
My friend's comment reminds me of the second action I observe in Psalms 103773, and 94 to the troubling observation that the wicked are prospering and the good not so much.  It is an observation not only of the Psalm writers of three millennia ago but of many world-watchers today.
Psalm 37, gives very straight forward advice.  
  • "Do not fret because of evildoers."  (v. 1, also 8)
  • Don't be envious. (1)
  • Refrain from anger. (8)
  • "Delight yourself in the LORD; 
  • And He will give you the desires of your heart." (4)
  • "Commit your way to the LORD,
  • Trust also in Him, and He will do it." (5)
I encourage you to read the entire Psalm.  The one word theme is TRUST.
When I dreaded that meeting it was because I did not trust my colleagues to step up and do the right thing.  They did.  My friend reminded me that I should have trusted them.  How much more when I'm dealing with the Lord of the Universe.   He is worthy of my faith.  When I fret about the inequities in this world--injustices which my Lord says are temporary--or become envious of what the unrighteous have--paltry (though gaudy) junk when compared to the riches that await me--or when I let anger over this world's imbalances control me, it is uncalled for.  I ought to trust the God of the universe to work it out.  

What is called for is trust.

It's STTA. 

Read about a struggle I had following a near fatal accident here
You'll find some resources that explains the true hope here.

No comments:

Post a Comment