Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Gravity and Other Grave Realities:


Gravity exerts an uninterupted force to flatten everything.  
I was very aware of that concept this morning.  I ride a bike for exercise.  My wife is a walker.  This morning her walking buddies weren't available, so, being the good husband that I am, I went out walking with her.  Her route includes a couple of pretty good humps to get over.  As I used a different set of muscles to fight the force of the earth to flatten my quite un-incredible hulk to sea level, I was reminded of the importance of living life based on reality.

To continue using gravity as a metaphor for other realities, I too often live as if I have some magical control over gravity.  I don't.  Only on Star Trek do "anti-grav" devices exist.  In the real world it always exerts its inevitable downward pull.  It takes effort to fight it.  Here are some other realities that I ignore at my own risk.
  • The wages of sin is death.  Though sin gives temporary pleasure, it has always had the ultimate consequence of death.
  • The spiritual is real.  We are more than a collection of atoms.  Trying to meet spiritual needs with stuff is like trying to overcome gravity with wax and feathers.
  • None of us live in a vacuum.  There is an ecology of relationships.  Chief in the the relationships that matter is our relationship with God.

Do you feel the pressure on the bottom of your feet or the place where you sit down.  It is evidence of a reality you dare not ignore.  Don't ignore it or the others either.

It's STTA
  

No comments:

Post a Comment