Wednesday, July 11, 2012

It's not about the dressing room.


Maybe some of my college friends can help me with some more detail, but I remember one line from a radio preacher back when I was a student at Appalachian Bible Institute.  It went something like, "This ol' world is just a dressin' room, and I'm gettin' ready to go on stage."  As I remember the speaker was a woman who spoke in a rather melodramatic style.  Nothing else she said has survived more than four decades of mental erosion (and I suspect that is good), but that one line surfaces in my psyche from time to time.
I don't know whether the radio-preacher based her line on a scripture text or not, but it very well could have come from 2 Corinthians 4:17.  "For momentary, light affliction is producing for us an eternal weight of glory far beyond all comparison,"
It is a passage that puts things in perspective.
The annoyances and difficulties that inhabit my life are tiny compared to those the Apostle Paul faced, or indeed what some of you must endure.  That makes the Apostle's words all the more poignant to me.  

Howard, don't get all hung up about the dressing room.  Focus on the stage.


  

No comments:

Post a Comment