Tuesday, August 28, 2012

"Facing" the World:


HM
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT


Yesterday STTA represented somewhat of a wrestling match.  I was trying to get a handle on the mystery of prayer, and doing so on the fly.  From an intellectual viewpoint, I'm no further ahead.  From a relational viewpoint, I experienced my Father's love in a fresh way.
From the sublime, wonder of prayer I go to this:  




We had a Fair at our church last Sunday night--popcorn, cotton-candy, hotdogs, games, inflatable bouncy-house things for kids to play on--it was a lot of fun.  And we had a "foto"-booth, complete with silly things to wear for the picture.  Actually, a couple of lovely ladies joined me for the picture above.
I cropped the photo and made it my profile picture on Facebook.  Just this morning I read a comment from one friend about what an improvement of my image it represents.  The comments I get on stuff I put online generally can be counted using one's fingers.  I've gotten more comments about the dumb picture than anything I've put up for a while.  What I look like, obviously, impresses people.

WARNING!
 I'm about to take a turn for the serious, here.

The fact is: what people see in my life will have a greater influence than what they hear me say, or what they read that I have written.  That's quite an admission from a guy who runs his mouth for a living.  Peter tells Christian ladies who find themselves in the difficult position of having a husband who does not share their faith, to live in such a way that their husbands "may be won without a word by the behavior of their wives,  as they observe your chaste and respectful behavior."  (1 Peter 3:1-2)  I'm convinced the principle there has a wider application.  Psalm 40:3 speaks of the new song the Lord puts in a faithful heart, and goes on to say, "Many will see and fear and trust in the Lord."  Not hear, but see.
 Ephesians 5:18-19 indicates that one of the results of a life controlled by God's Spirit is a singing heart.  That's the kind of thing folk can see.

Lord, give me a face, today, that will impact people the right way.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment