Friday, August 24, 2012

Horse Liniment for the Soul:


HM
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT


Back when I was in college I hurt my shoulder playing "touch" football.  I went to see Dr. Wurst, pronounced "Worst."  After standing behind a flouroscope--something I thought only existed in old comedy movies--he showed me my problem on a skeleton in the corner, and by pressing forcefully on the sore spot several times.   Did I tell you he did that more than once?  At the end of the examination Dr. Wurst pronounced that I was a "young buck and would get better anyhow."  And provided me with some liniment.  My suspicions were as strong as the odor the cream gave off that the stuff had been manufactured for horses.

Dr. Wurst's medical philosophy would have fit in perfectly with the religious views of the people of Isaiah's day, and many in my time.  
RUB THIS ON THE OUTSIDE.  MAYBE IT WILL DO SOME GOOD ON THE INSIDE--or externalism.
I encourage you to read Isaiah chapter 1.  God, Himself, gives a devastating  indictment of the people of Judah.  He begins by saying that these people showed less intellegence, gratitude, 
and good sense than an ox or a donkey.  If, on my own, I preached like that, I would likely be called on the carpet.  He goes on to compare the nation to a totally sick body, pointing out that they "act corruptly," "have abandoned the Lord," and "despised the Holy One of Israel."  As a result desolation had descended on their land.  God compares them to Sodom and Gomorrah.
When you get to verse 10 you see a list of all the religious things they were doing.  They went to the Temple, offered sacrifices, kept the feasts, and more.
 

Concerning all of it God says, "Just stop!  It makes Me sick."  Instead God puts them before a different kind of flouroscope and shows them that their problem was one of the heart, and no amount of mere religion rubbed on the outside was going to meet their need.  

"Wash yourselves, make yourselves clean;
Remove the evil of your deeds from My sight.
Cease to do evil,
Learn to do good;
Seek justice,
Reprove the ruthless,
Defend the orphan,
Plead for the widow.
Come now, and let us reason together," Says the Lord,
Though your sins are as scarlet,
They will be as white as snow;
Though they are red like crimson,
They will be like wool.  (Isaiah 1:16-18)

Isaiah lived in a time when the clouds of coming disaster were dark on the horizon.  Many see similar storms in our future.  The solution is not primarily a matter of a better economy or a stronger military.  Then and now, it is a matter of the heart--my heart, and yours.  You'll find more below, about how the Lord can change your heart.
 
It's STTA.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment