Thursday, October 11, 2012

Celeb-owned: Is that referring to me?


HM
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT
I don't get it.
I receive a weekly email that has travel, hotel, and restaurant deals.  I usually scroll through the list when it comes.  On occasion there is something that works for my wife and me.
This one caught my eye, not because I was particularly interested in the offer, but because of why the advertiser thought I would be interested.  It is a "Celeb-owned . . . hotel."  Farther down in the write-up the celeb was identified as singer Gloria Estefan.  I'm sure Ms. Estefan is a very nice lady, and probably her hotel is quite nice.  Please don't sic the Miami Sound Machine, or her fan club on me.  What caught my attention, though, is the fact that the ad-writer thought that a significant number of we hapless consumers would be attracted to staying in a hotel, owned by a celebrity. 
"Did you have enough hot water?"  "No, but the owner has a number of music awards."  

We live in a world that is dominated by the cult of celebrity. 
Fake Celebrity Pranks New York City
Fake Celebrity Pranks New York City

Brett Cohen created an interesting--I would say the results indicate it is disturbing--experiment that demonstrates the concept.   (Click on the video link above)

People become famous for being famous, because we desperately hope that some of their glitz will rub off on us.  The needy pursuing the empty.  As the pursued and pursuers turn the wheel in the gilded cage they power the lights that illuminate the naked emperor.  Where is the boy with the courage, or naivete to point out the charade?  

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment