Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Thank God for an empty head:


HM
SOMETHING 
TO THINK ABOUT
Often when I sit down to do STTA, I have to get rid of a lot of stuff in my head.  

"No, that's too personal."
"That's too narrow; most people won't know what I'm talking about."  
"No reason to make those folk mad."
Etc., etc.

Recently I had a blessed experience.  I had to look for something to say when I was writing an STTA.  I hope it isn't an indication that my mental reservoir is leaking at a more rapid rate these days, or that I've become lazy about  putting good stuff in.  
To use a couple of other pictures to make the point:  When I sat down to write I had no axe to grind, or rabbit to chase.  James speaks about the "double-minded man"  (James 1:8 & 4:8).  I'm reminded of the line in The Last Samuraiwhere Shin Koyamada tells Captain Alghren, "Too many mind."  My translation: Your mind is so preoccupied with so many things that you can't think about what is going on right now.  Don't worry, I'm not converting to Zen-Buddhism, but I do confess to sometimes carrying around "too many mind," or, more to the point being "double-minded."  I am reminded of Jesus gentle rebuke to Martha in the midst of her distraction, or The Apostle Paul'sfocus on what really matters.  I don't want my mind to be empty.  I just want to get the junk out so there is room for Him. 

Lord, I want to hear You, and trust You, today.  I want to follow Your plan for my life.  Help me get the junk out of my mind that prevents me from doing that.  Amen.
 
STTA 
 
Here is a simple presentation of the truth that all of us need to prepare for eternity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment