Monday, September 14, 2015

Talking about Preaching

 

Something
To
Think
About,

Preaching:

"It's a weird way to make a living."
I remember sharing that commentary about being a pastor and preaching to a group of people every week.  I was talking to a younger colleague.  Not only has it been the way I have earned my living for all my adult life, preaching/pastoring has been my life.
Today, and five more times over the next two weeks I get to talk to a group of guys about preaching to, and being a shepherd to, a congregation.  It is a great privilege.
As I prepare, I am reminded of some who have taught and/or been an example to me over the years:
  • My late Father-in-law, Eugene Marsceau was my pastor through my formative teen years.  He modeled faithfulness.  That is the trait that is the chief requirement for those of us to whom a message has been entrusted.
  • Lester Pipkin was the President of Appalacian Bible Institute where I received the training that impacted me most.  He was a great example of powerful preaching.  Words can move people.  The Word of God is powerful.
  • Billy Price has been my colleague in ministry for almost my whole career.  He has modeled what it means to love others with the love of Christ.  He has been my friend.
  • I can't say I knew the man, but I learned from Joe Stowell that sometimes the most powerful thing you can say is to say nothing.  It's harder than you think.  I have never seen a man with a more powerful presence,
  • I saw in Glenn Mathews a rare combination of passion and intellect.
  • I observed as I listened to Victor Decker, my pastor during two years of college, and J. Don Jennings, whose ministry I sat under several times, that God not only uses us in spite of our handicaps, He actually uses our handicaps as a means for showcasing His word.  We have the treasure in clay pots.
 
I could go on, but let me just say that I'm humbled to step into the room with these men, not, as has been true in the past, in the role of student, but as one who seeks to shape the next generation of those who Preach the Word. I'd appreciate you praying for me.  I know it sounds quaint and old-fashioned, but we need some guys who can preach the word.  If I can have any positive influence to that end.  I'll be very thankful.
Let me know in about fifty years how it works out.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment