Tuesday, September 22, 2015

The Need For Balance

 

Something
To
Think
About,

Balance:

Recently, I've been working on the skill of being old. For instance I had to work through the transition from encouraging young people to show appropriate respect to their seniors to being comfortable with young people--when did fifty get to be young?--"Sir"-ing me.
Much of growing old has to do with balance.  We've all seen folk who spend their social security checks on clothing that looks good on teenagers, but on them--not so much. Aging athletes are famous for overdoing it.  Yet on the other extreme are perfectly healthy folk who just quit.  They become couch potatoes or coffee shop squatters.  They have a lot of living to do, and much to offer, but they just check out.
Balance!
Maintaining equilibrium is a complicated process.  It involves processing input from eyes, inner ear, and feeling from feet and legs.  That somewhat primal data is mixed with memory--"I remember that stair-tread is loose"--and reasoning--"that grass is wet and the ground is sloping. . . ."  Then a millisecond later that information is transmitted to muscles that need to instantly tense or relax, but not too much, and often one needs to do one thing while another the opposite, then that floods the brain with a whole new wave of data and. . . . Some of you fellow oldsters know what comes next.  The processor doesn't process as fast as it once did, and the left leg got the signal but wasn't up to the emergency task.  One thing that hasn't slowed down is the speed with which the ground rushes up to meet you.
Bones that are less flexible, skin that is less resistant to impact, and the slowing of the healing process make the loss of balance more costly than it used to be.  So we find ourselves looking for more sensible shoes, and using hand-rails with more frequency.  Even those choices involve a measure of balance.  I've got enough metal in my body to stock a modest hardware store, but I plan to ride my bike later today.  I didn't say this would be easy.

I've noticed that a lot of folk, young and old, struggle with balance.  The finely honed balance of a premier athlete or dancer produces a flowing smoothness.  Those who struggle with balance tend to herk and jerk from one awkward position to the next.  I see that a lot.
Example:  Recently the terribly disturbing videos released by The Center for Medical Progress, have provoked a needed conversation.  Unfortunately the tone has often been needlessly, and unproductively shrill.  Precarious positions are being occupied.

 
  

I think we need to reach for a handrail and make sure that we keep our balance.  If you are willing to lace up your prudent footwear, we'll walk together for the next few days.  I'll warn you, there are some narrow planks we have to traverse, and we don't have safety lines, but don't get the idea that just hunkering down where you are is the wise choice.  I smell smoke.
Like I said, "I didn't say this would be easy."
It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment