Friday, December 18, 2015

First your are old, and then you die.

 

Something
To Think About
When you get done being old you die :



My late father used to jokingly call cemeteries, "scull orchards," though he would, also, often slow down, out of respect, when he drove by one.  I think he was utterly sincere when he claimed to have no concern for how his body would be dealt with after his death.  
 
His line was something like, "I don't care if you bury me head-down in a post hole and mark my name on my shoe heel"  In actuality he wasn't that nonchalant.  He purchased grave plots for himself and my mom.  My dad never really got old. He was only sixty-two when he died.  I've spent my life being a small town pastor.  I've hung around death a good bit.  I've seen folk die and leave the heirs with a real mess, and I've seen others proactively bless their families by the preparations they had made.  I'm not proposing irresponsibilty.

My wife and I are entering into a time when we'll be traveling a lot.  We are no longer--as the saying goes--Spring Chickens (though you can't tell it when you look at Kathy).  We figure it is responsible to make some preparations.  We are getting our wills in order.  We're passing on some key information to our sons.  Our house may not be in order, but we are trying to cut down on the chaos.  We, however, refuse to focus on dying.  In fact we don't have to refuse; focusing on death isn't really a temptation; life is just too interesting.

Growing old involves some accommodation.  A friend of mine is a good athlete.  He can't jump any more, but he is having a great time coaching those who can.  The deterioration and slow-down that comes with growing older is inevitable, but we don't have to cooperate with the trend.  Let's do what we can to preserve life's vigor for as long as possible.

Part of living responsibly, especially at this end of life, includes preparing to die--indeed, I've said on other occasions that one is not really ready to live until he is ready to die.  That doesn't mean, however, that we need to focus on death.  The fact is we will die whether we plan to or not.  We will only really live if we go about it purposefully.  I'm a realist.  Fifty year Guarantees don't impress me much any more, but at this point it would appear that I have some space between here and my appointment with the grave.  I choose to focus on life.

Bottom line:
Be ready to die (see the link below) and then get on with living(likewise check out the link below), how old you are is irrelevant. 

Young or old we all need the Lord. Find out more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment