Monday, December 21, 2015

God so loved . . .

Something
To Think About
God's Love:



“For this is how God loved the world: He gave* his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life."  (John 3:16, New Living Translation)

You probably memorized the verse from the King James or another translation that begins something like, "For God so loved the world."  That's a good translation, but I'm afraid it is open to our going the wrong way with it.  If we aren't careful we import emotions into the verse that are more appropriately associated with a young man in love, than with the God of the universe. 
"I just couldn't help myself."  or, "I know I really shouldn't, but I love her so much that I bought her the necklace/bracelet/ring/new car anyhow.  We look at those words "so loved," and we are apt to think of God looking at a group of beings that He finds so adorable that He just can't help Himself.  He just has to find a way to make their salvation possible, even if it costs Him the life of His Son.  
Yes, God does love the world.  John 3:16 speaks of the people who make up the world.  Men and women, young and old, rich and poor, people of every ethnicity, language, nationality, and condition are loved by our great God, but it is not because of any loveliness on our part.  In fact the Bible makes clear that we are really quite unlovely in God's sight.  The Apostle Paul gives a devastating summary of what we look like to God in Romans 3.  It's not pretty.  
Nor does God ever argue with Himself.  I can't speak with authority about you--though I have my suspicions--but I debate myself all the time.  I guess that guarantees that I always lose.  Am I going to get up or punch snooze?  Take a shower or just put on more deodorant?  Be quite or give that person a piece of my mind?  Can I get by without shaving?  Another piece of cake?  Ride the exercise bike?  Often the better (I hope) part of me argues the lesser contingent in my head into submission; I do the right thing, but I'm whining, or worse, the whole time.  God has no such internal conflicts.  What He does He does with His entire being.  There never was a time that what He wills to do was not His plan and there never will be a time when He will regret what He does.  God loves not because He finds the one on whom He bestows His love to be worthy of His love; He loves because He islove.  Our worthiness or unworthiness is not the issue.  The truth is we are unworthy.  It was "while we were yet sinners," and, while we were still weak" that God, "show[ed] His love for us," and "Christ died for us."  (Romans 5:6-8)
That word "so" in John 3 16 answers a question:  What was the extent of God's love?" or, "What is the demonstration of His love?"  Here is the answer, "that He gave His only begotten Son."
Rejoice with me in this greatest of all Christmas gifts, and stay tuned.  There is more to come.

 It's Something to Think About..

Find out more about this greatest of all gifts, here.

No comments:

Post a Comment