Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Shut Up To Be Appreciated

SILENCE:

 

As I write this, I'm listening to a story about Vin Scully.  For longer than most of us have been alive, he has been the broadcaster for the Dodgers.  He began in Brooklyn and then followed the Franchise to Los Angeles.  Think of all the incredible baseball moments that Scully announced.  Yet in the interview what stood out was not what he had said, but those times he had chosen to say nothing.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zLfCnGVeL4
The Sound of Silence

Like Scully, I have spent my life running my mouth.  Like the sports-caster, as I look back, I am impressed with the power of silence--not the silence of cowardice, or ineptitude--dead-air--but the quiet that exudes from having wisdom enough to know that what I have to say at this moment is probably not the most important sound in the room.

I'm still working on that.



It's STTA.

Click here, to find out more about preparing for a meeting when "every mouth will be stopped.".  

— Scully on the art of silence:
“I love it. It’s probably selfish on my part. When I was about 8 years old, the reason I went in this direction … we have a big old four legged radio. I would get a pillow and a glass of milk and some saltine crackers and I would crawl under the radio to listen to a football game. I knew nothing about [the teams]. But the roar of the crowd absolutely intoxicated me. That’s what drew me to get into sports. Now I try to shut up so I can enjoy the roar of the crowd.”
(Dan Patrick Show)

"I need to be quiet and let folk hear something far more important than cheering crowd."  (hm)

No comments:

Post a Comment