Tuesday, September 27, 2016

The Debate, Our Decision:

Decision:

 

Jim Denison asks an interesting question, "What would God say about last night's debate?"  He's not assuming the mantle of a prophet, but looking at what God has said in the Bible, and applying that to what he heard.  His bottom line conclusion is that God would be grieved because of the division of our nation.  Quoting Lee Drutman of the New York Times, Denison points out that "Rather than being one two-party nation, we are becoming two one-party nations."
It might even be worse than that, but before I comment on that, consider the tendency we have to cherry-pick an event like last night's debate.  We come into the room looking for "facts" that make the other side look bad, while we listen for that which supports our prejudice.  Interviews I heard this morning confirm that "confirmation bias" is alive and well.
Actually, our situation might be worse than two one-party nations.  Out in the realm of those who had no place on the stage, are the voices who say neither of these candidates represent us.  Considering where the current political system has led us, their complaint has merit.  "Is this the best we can do?" is a question that has been heard a lot lately.  One man I heard in an interview spoke of being apathetic, add to that crowd the apoplectic, and there are a lot of folk filling in the spaces between the candidates.
We as Christ's followers are called to be "salt and light."  
 In our current situation I think that has less to do with the political process than it does with the process that leads to the political process.  God's people need to be thinking based on a Biblical worldview.  We need to do so so effectively that others around us will see that way of thinking as valid.  This is in no way an expression of defeatism.  I have read the book.  In the end my side wins.  What I'm suggesting is that we ought to have a greater focus on my platform, as compared to any platform of any political party.  How can I affect my family, my friends, my community.  The early church was completely disenfranchised, yet they changed the world.  I'm not recommending abandoning the political process.  I am suggesting that putting too much hope in it is not wise.

It's STTA.

Click here, to find out about what Christ has done for our world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment