Friday, August 18, 2017

You can tell a lot by how someone walks.

Walkers:

We met Carmin this morning. We've said "Good morning" to her many times. She is one of the regulars on the abandoned road where we walk most mornings. One morning I teased her about not being able to fly. She was walking along, arms extended, flapping them up and down, looking like she was trying to get off the ground. Kathy has commented several times that she always looks happy. I think her husband is "Ninja-man." I gave him that title because he would carry his umbrella, shoved into the back of his shirt. That and his sort of Asian look make him resemble a Japanese warrior. We found out that Carmin walks to control her weight. She's lost 70 pounds.
Then there is Art. I met him yesterday. A couple of weeks ago I saw him running. His movement reminded me of a man constantly falling down. Each step hit the ground just in time to keep him from completing his fall. I'd guess that he is 
late 40s. His determination is obvious. When I saw him yesterday, he was running, not falling. His progress is impressive. He finished his run about the same time Kathy and I finished our walk, so I went over and talked to him. He's training for a marathon.
I could go on. There's mom & pop, bicycle-man, the fashion queen, and one guy who is a serious runner. I form opinions about people I have never met based on brief encounters when we pass each other on an exercise path. It doesn't only happen on 
walking-trails.
After sharing three chapters of the Bible's most sublime truth, Ephesians 1-3, Paul says, "Therefore I . . . implore you to walk in a manner worthy of the calling with which you have been called. . . . " (Eph. 4:1) On our morning walks,  I see military personnel upright, shoulders squared, folk who obviously have all day--no hurry, athletes doing wind-sprints, oldsters like me (not my wife) fighting the ravages of time, people who obviously care what they look like, others who obviously haven't given that a thought.

Today, as I walk through life, will people see the characteristics in me, that mark me as a child of God?

Lord, help me to walk well. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment