Wednesday, March 17, 2010

"I Need To See Your License, Please . . .

"This is my worst night-mare." I joked.

It took me a while to recognize Nic. I'm told that Virginia Trooper-Cadets have a class on how to wear their broad-rimmed hats. Between his sunglasses--just like in countless movie scenes--and the hat tilted down at just the right angle, I didn't see that it was Nic until I got right next to him. There he was in all his uniformed splendor and authority.

As is common in my area the troopers had set up a traffic stop to check for driver's licenses. I rolled down the window and gave my night-mare line. I've known Nic since birth, watched him in the nursery, called him down in Sunday school, and, hopefully, taught him some values that remain behind those dark glasses.

"It could get worse," Trooper Nic said. "Do you have your Driver's License?"

Thankfully I did.

"Every person is to be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those which exist are established by God." (Romans 13:1) I wasn't dealing just with Nic. He stood there as the representative of the Commonwealth of Virginia. He represents my state well. I hope I live out a lesson I have tried to teach Nic--a message that our culture needs more of.--respect for authority..

When I see him without the hat though . . .

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment