Monday, March 22, 2010

If I did pray, Who would I be talking to?

I remember going out to lunch with a fellow preacher I met because our kids were involved in the same activity. We sat across the table with our salads in front of us. I thought I was being polite, when I asked my new friend if he would like to lead us in prayer, giving thanks for our food. He looked at me with a panic-stricken look. "Out loud? How about if each of us just pray silently?" I just figured that my friend was shy, but further conversation, over the course of a couple months, revealed to me that this was a preacher who regularly purported to speak from the Bible who didn't believe it.

Al Mohler, in a recent article speaks of a sizeable group of such pastors. Some like the work, others are doing it for the money--a particular damning concept in light of 1 Timothy 6:5-10, others maintain their position as pastor because they believe, in spite of their unbelief, the position gives them an opportunity to help.

In a couple of months my church will be involved in ordaining a man to the Gospel Ministry. Bottom-line: Does he believe what he preaches? Unfortunately, not everyone does.

It's STTA.

No comments:

Post a Comment