Friday, January 13, 2012

Does God Care?

Does God care?
Just about anyone who is Theologically aware at all would answer affirmatively, "Of course He does."  Wait a minute, though.  Gordon Monson, of the Salt Lake Tribune, makes a point with which I strangely agree, though I know it is wrong.  Don't tune out yet.  Let me explain.
Monson's comment is part of an article about perhaps the most controversial athlete in our nation, Tim Tebow.  "I've always believed," the commentator says,  "that God favors no professional athlete over another, no team over another. . . . He's too busy working to save the Earth, thwart evil, watch over the innocent, and publish peace.  He blesses the pure in heart, not the Denver Broncos."

First a couple of caveats:  God isn't too busy for anything.  Psalm 121:4 points out that God neither sleeps nor slumbers.  Jesus pointed out that the falling sparrow, and my falling-out hair are part of His ever-present attention.  David observed that He keeps count of my most mundane movements (Psalms 139).  From a logical viewpoint, since infinitesimal actions can have incredible consequences, if God isn't in control of the smallest things then He isn't in control at all.  Having said that, I agree with Monson.  I know I'm wrong, but that is what I think.  I came to this utterly contradictory conclusion while participating in another sport--deer hunting.  Back before I figured out that I wasn't any good at bringing home the venison I used to sit or stand at a deer-stand and talk to myself and the Lord.  
"OK, Lord, I'm here.  I sure would like to get a deer."   
Did the fact that I most often went home without a deer mean that God didn't hear my prayer?  Maybe He was letting me know that I ought to look for a better way to spend my time, or perhaps the lessons had to do with patience and persistence.  Did the success others had have to do with God's favor, or was it just a matter of my horrendous lack of the skills so valued by my outdoors-men buddies?  After a time of pursuing these mental rabbits on their circular trails, I would quit and come to the one conclusion that I knew was wrong, but that allowed me to settle down and take a nap--I was good at that.  

God didn't care whether I killed a deer or not.
 
I come to the same conclusion about football games. 
 
I don't know what Tim Tebow prays, when he famously takes a knee.  It might not have anything to do with who wins or loses.  Could it be something like, "Lord, I have no idea why I'm here in the end zone instead of under a pile of linemen on the other side of the line of scrimmage. I don't really figure it matters in any way that really matters who wins this game, but it matters supremely that I live for You.  Lord, I give you glory.  Help me to use the opportunities you give in a way that is pleasing to You.  Amen"
 
 I don't know what Mr. Tebow prays.  (If someone else does, let me know.)  I do know that for which I need to ask.
 
 "Lord, even down to things as simple as my eating and drinking, may I give glory to You."  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment