Friday, January 6, 2012

Good Byes:

Did you hear about the man who had a dog that he had decided needed to have its tail bobbed so it would look right?  It was a boxer, or some such breed.  He knew this would be painful to his pet, so he decided to cut it off a little at a time.  Please know I don't recommend it.  I tell this tale about a tail, which I sincerely hope is fictitious, because earlier today I felt somewhat like that poor beast.
My wife and I just had a wonderful visit with our two sons and their families.  They live in two different states so we saw one first then another.  Today we said our good byes to the second of the families.  We were able to visit the two grandchildren at their lunch break at school.  Kira has an early lunch, so we met her about 10:20.  After she ate her hotdog, chips and Go-gurt, she went out to recess and we went back to our car-Good Bye number one. 
There was enough time between Kira's lunch and Silas's for us to meet our son and daughter-in-law for lunch, after which he went back to work--#2. 
It was time for Silas's lunch, so we watched him eat his P,B,&J, apple and granola, then he went to his recess, and we again left-The third set of hugs & kisses & lumps in throats.
Back to our son and daughter-in-law's house.  Chris was still at church, Nancy was there.  After gathering our stuff & loading the car the quartet of farewells was complete.  My heart, though, doesn't feel complete.  Not only are there those four holes, but six more in another state.
Beyond that, while driving down the interstate I called my uncle who has cancer.  Uncle J. trusted the Lord late in life.  As I spoke with him we were both aware that we might not see each other again on this earth.  During our conversation we talked about his sister, my mom.  I saw her a couple of weeks ago.  Barring a miracle she will never again, in this world, look at me and know who I am.  It is a strange good bye, but a profound one.
I'm not looking for sympathy.  I am wonderfully blessed.  Should I die in this metal box that is hurtling across the earth as I write, I am confident that I will see all the people I have mentioned in a place where Good Byes will be forever banished.  I say that because of the Good News of Jesus Christ in which I and all those above have put their trust.  Good Byes here are inevitable, but in the ultimate scheme of things they are totally unnecessary.  I write these little daily thoughts to provoke thought-thought that will lead to life change.  May the inevitable Good Byes of this world lead you to that which will last.  Find out more here.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment