Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Two Brothers Coming Together:


Jefferson Bethke, achieved something that lots of young adults--and not a few of we older adults--hope to achieve.   He  produced and starred in a video that went viral.  When I watched it last night over 16 million others had already done so.  Even better Bethke's message is worth the four + minutes it takes to watch it (not counting the slow buffering because of the demand).  
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=1IAhDGYlpqY

The young man skillfully contrasts religion--the version he lambasts sounds a lot like American Evangelicalism
--and Biblical Christianity.  Much of what he has to say is right on.  I encourage you to watch his video.  

Another Internet citizen, who in some ways looks a lot like someone Bethke is criticizing, Kevin DeYoung, wrote a thoughtful, though admittedly less artful, and interesting, response/analysis of Bethke's poem.  When you have time, it is worth reading.  (here
  What impresses and encourages me is the response.  You can find the link at the beginning of DeYoung's piece, but here it is in part:
I just wanted to say I really appreciate your article man. It hit me hard. I'll even be honest and say I agree 100%. God has been working with me in the last 6 months on loving Jesus AND loving his church.  (Bethke)

 Thanks for your email. It confirms my impression of you-humble, sincere, a real love for God and the gospel. . . . What can I do to help you? . . . I don't want people to take this in the wrong direction. . . .  Let me know if there is something I can do. (DeYoung)


This is a paradigm that I see way too infrequently.  Brothers who love the Lord reaching out in honesty and love to one another.
  
Lord make me like Barnabas.  Someone who helps a brother.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment